In the absence of an ERP system, a large manufacturer may find itself with many software applications that do not talk to each other and do not effectively interface. Tasks that need to interface with one another may involve:
* design engineering (how to best make the product)
* order tracking from acceptance through fulfillment
* the revenue cycle from invoice through cash receipt
* managing interdependencies of complex Bill of Materials (BOM)
* tracking the 3-way match between Purchase orders, Inventory receipts , and Costing
* the Accounting for all of these tasks, tracking the Revenue, Cost and Profit on a granular level.